Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Another Baby Step

I’m not sure what has changed. Perhaps it is a gradual wardrobe shift as our US clothes wear out and more Italian clothes are purchased. Perhaps it is the confidence we exude as we walk the streets. Perhaps people are just desperate for a friendly face among all the Italians. Whatever the reason, Amy and/or I have been approached on the streets of Viterbo and asked for directions twice in the past few days.

While we were walking back from the Mensa, a young couple asked us how to get to Porta Verita. Amy fielded the response, but I knew how to get there and even most of what to say to direct them there. Then, this morning, while walking up from school (which was canceled due to a half inch of wet snow which melted less than an hour later) I was asked how to get to the Prefetura. Much to my surprise, I actually know where that is and was able to give directions – in Italian!! Even better, the directions I gave will actually get the person there, unlike the vague, hand waving you get from the typical Italian. The icing on the cake? I discovered a few moments after going through it all, that the other person also speaks English.

It is still very slow going for me as second language acquisition is very hard for me. However, I am making progress, one baby step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment