Sunday, February 17, 2013

Tacle Time

Last year at this time we were in Sicily. This year we have just returned from a 3 night trip to Le Marche. I will blog about that more over the coming week. But first, it’s citrus season again. You may recall that last year I gave an accounting of all of the different varieties and options of citrus available at our local fruit and veg store. There were easily close to a dozen. This year there was a new one that I missed before. It is called a tacle, which must be a local name for it since that gets no hits for anything related to citrus anywhere I can find online. It is billed as a torocco clementine. Since I can find no information about it online, I am unsure if it is a cross with a torocco orange, which is a legitimate variety of blood orange, or if it is simply torocco-like when you peel it open.


In any case, it has the characteristic torocco red blush to the skin and does indeed have the red speckling of the fruit as can be barely made out in the picture.


 The one I had was nice, sweet and senza semi (seedless). Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment