Thursday, November 29, 2012

Herbert

I want to take a moment to interrupt my Northern trip narrative to relate an amusing story. Today in calculus class one of the students stopped me to point out something on the floor. I took a look at it, announced it was a small, brown scorpion and kept teaching. They insisted on stopping to examine it, but since it wasn’t going anywhere fast we eventually were able to continue our discussion of the formal definition of the definite integral as it ambled about the floor. Alas, no pictures since I'm not in the habit of bringing my camera to class with me. After class, Herbert, a.k.a. Herbie the Lovely Bug, was moved back to his natural habitat. The amusing part for me wasn’t actually the bug, but the fact that few of the students had a clue as to who/what "Herbie" was referring to and the few that did recall it as a Lindsey Lohan movie. How sad is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment